Monday, October 26, 2009

Nepal _ day 4

I woke up around 6am in Laurabina with a view out of my window of the first picture. Being so clear out after the fog the day before I climbed out of my cocoon of heavy blankets. I walked out in front of the lodge and took the pictures 2-7 which is a view from left to right of the Himalayas. I can't remember all of their names since there are a lot but I started my day off being so inspired and in awe. My guide Rai and I had a quick breakfast thanks to the family who owned the lodge that had the cutest kids. I was always wanting to peek in to the kitchens of the lodges that were like industrial factories with no lights, smoke billowing out of the wood stove, and walls lined perfectly with a wide array of metal ware. This day was an easy day which was welcomed after climbing to such a high elevation so fast. We only walked for about 3 and a half hours, stopping at two small stupas that were sitting waaay up on the ridge all by themselves. I ended up seeing them all over the place and was always amazed how the Nepalis carry EVERYTHING up the mountains by a strap looped over their head. We soon got to Gosainkunda, or Gosainkund, which are the sacred lakes up near the top of the mountain. Apparently there are 108 of them but we saw about 8 them since there are some big, steep ridges in the way of the other ones. We made it to our lodge that sat right next to one of the biggest lakes that was crystal clear and ice cold. Rai told me that 'a lot' of monks make a pilgrimage each year in the spring to the lakes where they dunk themselves three times in the water. I asked how much is 'a lot' and he said about a million and a half! I really wanted to jump in but it was the first and only time I had a bit of a head ache due to the altitude. Regardless, it was wonderful to spend the day next to the lakes and drink a bunch of tea. I even bought a knit hat and a crazy colored woven bag from an old lady who was part of the family who owned the lodge I was in. She told me she made them but I was a little skeptical, either way, I liked the idea.





























No comments:

Post a Comment