Sunday, November 1, 2009

Nepal _ day 2

My guide Rai came to my hotel at 7am and we took a short taxi ride to the bus stop in northern Kathmandu. Busses in Nepal come in many different shapes and sizes but as I tower over most Nepalis people, most busses don't come in my size. My knees were slowly grinded down over the 9 hour bus ride but I was happily distracted by the views. The busses act more as carpooling taxis where the doors never close and people are getting on and off at any moments notice, at times with their bags of rice that seemed double their size. Winding through the hills for 5 hours allowed me to see all kinds of people, young and old, with amazing faces and equally stunning style. We stopped for lunch in a small town and continued further up in to the mountains where the road was carved out of a cliff side which had obviously crumbled many times before. After 4 hours we had reached Dunche and quickly settled in to a lodge with cute little roof top garden. I walked down the main road of town as the sun set before having dinner and sharing some 'medicine' with Rai which was a locally made millet wine. The wine was good on it's own but it tastes a little funny after they fry it in butter with a little rice.







No comments:

Post a Comment